Monday, August 18, 2014

Sixer

The weekend. It wasn't the worst!

I wasn't dreading my Saturday 6-miler, but I wasn't bounding out the door in excitement either. My alarm went off at 5:15 (a killer on a weekend morning) and I took my time drinking water and eating delightful cereal. It was a little muggy outside, but not terribly warm. I ran out for 1.15 miles and turned around to pass by my house again, then took off on another loop route to round out the rest.

I have to say, I think these running sunglasses have legitimately changed my life. I guess I never thought about how being blinded by the sun for part of a run can really physically drain you. I felt AWESOME on this run. My splits were: 

11:03
10:54
10:52
10:30
10:37
10:10

Hello! Beauts!

Around the end I decided to extend my run to a full 10K (6.2 miles) to prove to myself I was in a much better place than my first and only "official" 10K run. I ran in The Night Run back in May and it was almost a disaster. I'd never run a night race before. I spent too much of the day walking around, I didn't know when would be a good time to eat, it was HOT, the last water station ran out of water, etc. etc. I ran it in 1:13:04, which was an 11:47/mi pace. 

(Hot, sweaty, slow, mad.)
So, I ended up pushing myself a littler farther on Saturday and ended 6.21 in 1:06:13 (10:40/mi). Suck it, Night Run!
Yesterday's yoga was amazing. Sadly, I didn't read the care instructions close enough on my new Yogitoes and on the way to class realized everything said to wash it before use or it will bleed like crazy. I'm glad I listened, because about 30 yogis crammed into the studio and I was DRENCHED in sweat by the end. I can only imagine how great I would have looked with my tie-dye towel bleeding onto my clothes. It shall be introduced to the yoga world on Thursday!
(Pretty studio, but hot)
Today's rest day is welcomed. My arms and abs are sore from the weekend. Always a good feeling! Onto 7 miles next weekend...a distance I haven't seen since my first half last November. Whoops.

3 comments:

  1. Sunglasses changed my life also. I decided to spend the money when I read that "A relaxed face is a relaxed run" or something like that. Less squinting = better performance for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus, I look just so cool and badass in mine. Wait.

      Delete
  2. Space age yoga studio! I'm back at the gym and going to yoga tonight...first time since mid-May. Hope I make it through.

    ReplyDelete