Monday, September 8, 2014

Discouragement/Encouragement

I'll just say this right now: the 8 miles I ran on Saturday morning were not the best. I think one of the worst feelings ever is getting up early (alarm went off at 4:55 a.m.), eating breakfast, foam rolling (AV showed me some awesome moves that really loosened up my legs), getting completely set up and pumped to go run and then stepping outside into heat and humidity. Half a mile in I had to give into the sinking feeling that the run was not going to be speedy. I had to be OK with that, because I really didn't have any other choice. Not sure what my splits were, although I know my fastest mile was somewhere around 10:37. 8.03 at 1:27:44 for a 10:56/mi pace. Bleh. Blah. Puke.

I'm trying not to get into the "I hate running" mode that I got sucked into last year. Last week I actually considered rejoining my barre studio (even though my free gym offers barre classes), so I know I'm right on the edge of getting bored with it. Yoga helps. Yesterday's afternoon class was HARD. Yogitoes mat? DRENCHED. It was awesome. What discouragement I felt Saturday ended up floating away at the end of the sweaty hour.

I have 6 weeks until the half, and some days I'm pretty positive I'm not going to hit this 2:20 goal. Other days I feel like the fastest woman alive. (Probably delusional exhaustion talking) I am clearly not a natural runner and sometimes that makes me ask myself why the heck I signed up for this thing in the first place. But the feeling I get after a long run--even a crappy slow one like Saturday--almost always makes me forget the negative. 

If anything, I'm praying this morning's rain dump took care of some of the humidity. Please, baby Jesus!

4 comments:

  1. Not sure anyone is a Natural runner...at least anyone I know. I think tough days are part of the whole training process. The best thing that happened is you completed your run on Saturday and didn't crawl back into bed and watch Ren and Stimpy reruns (something I would love to see actually) Keep up the good work. I bet your next run is a breeze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I know that 8 slow miles is better than nothing! And they gave me a calorie deficit to deal with the enchiladas I had Saturday night!

      Three words: bloody head fairy.

      Delete
  2. "It's better than bad it's good." Maybe that should be your theme song. You know you're running faster and longer than the majority of the people in the world, the US, in AZ and Maricopa County. Chin up, buttercup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now have "don't whiz on the electric fence" in my head.

      Delete